Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Goodbye to my Fiji tent.

So, we seem to have chosen the rainiest June in recorded history to bike through the northeast. This rain isn't a gentle rain like Seattle but downpours with gale force winds. There is no such thing as bad weather, only bad gear. Is this true? This rain is the ultimate test. We had to replace my faithful tent of 20 years because it leaked when we tested it. I loved my tent and it served me well but even REI tents give out eventually. We are going to keep it for camping in California since we don't get RAIN! I think it has rained over 8 inches since we arrived on this coast in the beginning of June. Cord met a cyclist this morning who reminded us that rain is preferable to hot sun. Even I have my limits and we have decided to hold off a day before starting. Camden, Maine is beautiful and I would love to explore it so tomorrow we will enjoy lovely Camden and will leave on Wednesday when the rain should begin to taper off. It's time to try to fall asleep to the rain pounding on our tent. I just have to remember what Cord said when he first arrived 1 1/2 weeks ago. "It is beginning to sink in that we may have to ride in the rain." Ha! He really is from California!


No comments:

Post a Comment