Saturday, July 18, 2009

The Hostility of New York

(We wanted to include an entry from each person's journal.  Cedar wrote this one about yesterday's ride.)

After reading a sign saying, "Keep Out!  Trespassers will be shot!  Survivors will be shot again!", it doesn't make you think of friendly people.  I guess the dogs take after their masters for when Mom and I stopped at a crossroad to wait for Papa and Zion, two large dogs galloped down the street, barking madly at us.

"Cedar, get back on the bike!", Mom commanded urgently.  I leapt on, not bothering to clip in.  By the time we started to flee they were upon us.  It's bad to be chased but when you have a tiny dog on the back of your bike it's even worse.  One pursuer stopped chasing us but the other effortlessly sprinted alongside of me, grinning as if it were a game.  Pedaling as fast as I could, clutching a wild, barking Minnie and holding on at the same time wasn't very easy.  Unfortunately we were going uphill and couldn't go very fast but the dog finally gave up.  Terrified, Minnie began to howl uncontrollably but we refused to stop and comfort her in case any other dogs would choose us to be their next victims.

"I've never pedaled so hard!", I told Mom.  

It just so happened that all the dog attacks were on the same day, for I heard another dog bark.  
"There's no need to pedal so fast," Mom rebuked as I sped up. 

 "Yes there is," I contradicted.  "It's coming... no, it's going for Zion.  It's chasing him!"  I burst into gales of laughter watching the barking bulldog circle Zion.  From then on we looked for dogs before stopping.

Cedar


2 comments:

  1. What kind of dogs were chasing you cedar?
    Drew

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this story, Cedar. You are a talented writer which made an already good story even better. It reminded me of a scene in one of the Chronicle of Narnia stories where one of the horses thought he was running as fast as he possibly could until he was chased by a lion and soon understood that he had even more speed in him. I would have loved to have seen your story on a video.

    Keep being safe out there. You have such a cool family to be doing this!

    ReplyDelete