Sunday, July 12, 2009

What is tired?



So, how does one define what tired is?  I finally wasn't the weak link last Friday as we climbed through the Brandon Gap of The Green Mountains.  Cedar and I stopped at the bottom to apply sunscreen and didn't stop until we reached the top.  We climbed 1670 feet and it was HARD!  It took us about 1 1/2 hours but we did it!  We had several bicyclists pass us but they didn't have panniers and a dog on back!  Cord and Zion were 1/2 hour behind us but they are both towing trailers.  My legs were like Jello.  Cedar jumped off and was ready to hike down to a viewpoint.

At the top, we met a couple of hikers who had just completed 10 days on The Long Trail.  We offered them food and water and they gave us granola bars to lighten their load.  I was impressed by the young woman for being out there in the rain and mud and you should have seen her pack.

It took us only 10 minutes to descend what had taken us so long to climb.  Cedar and I reached our top speed of 39 mph but I couldn't let it go to 40 because of a curve.  Talk about a death grip on the handlebars!  My forearms are still sore two days later.  We rode into the beautiful town of Brandon and Cord couldn't go any further.  We pulled over by a bookstore and he collapsed on the sidewalk while I browsed inside.  That was tired.  I can't believe that I made it.  Cedar and I have always been the slowest because of my knee or lack of strength so I am still smiling.  I never could have done this two weeks ago, or even last week.

"Mom, we can't stay here!" Zion whispered as we pushed our bikes to the campsite.  We stopped at the first campground we saw only 3 miles from town.  "What is wrong with him?"  Cedar asked.   It turned out that our campground assistant was extremely drunk.  He was helpful and friendly but couldn't walk straight or use words without swearing.  Being tired is pitching your tent in spite of the uncertainty of the situation.  He had a fire going and invited us to join him.  Cord looked at me and shook his head.  "It's a great opportunity to talk and hear his story and share the love of Christ but I'm exhausted."  Tired is hobbling along only 20 miles the next day, passing Fort Ticonderoga and not having the energy to go the extra block to check it out.  That was painful to miss.  Tired is when Zion's trailer tire blew out again, choosing the nearest hotel to stay at.  Tired means something completely different on the road.

We're headed through the Adirondack Mountains tomorrow.  We loved Vermont and the people we met.  The best observation came from a man working on a house.  "If you wanted to go fast, you would be in a car."

No comments:

Post a Comment