Wednesday, July 15, 2009

No Room at the Inn




Wow, our first day out of Ticonderoga was tough.  I think that we gained more elevation than we did in the Green Mountains.  I am so glad that I didn't know what was coming or I think that we all would have chosen a different route.  We rode about 48 miles and Zion had a particularly difficult day.  We had to wait over an hour at the top of one of the passes.  We were about 6 miles from the town of Newcomb when we were caught in a downpour.  It was freezing and Cedar finally admitted that his jacket is not waterproof.  The wind and rough roads made it difficult to keep going and we knew there was a B & B in town.  We stopped and as it turned out, they had all of their family in town and were not accepting guests.  They did have a barn out back that we could camp in.  We were thrilled!  We had the 8 horse stall barn all to ourselves.  No animals were in it and we were able to dry out and not worry about our leaky tent in the rain.  What a blessing that was!  I could so relate to Mary and fully understand how grateful they were to have a place to stay.  We started out late the next morning trying to let the rain pass and were able to meet the entire family.  The boys were so glad to be in a barn and were even excited about the outhouse.  "Mom, you've got to try it!"  It was one of the nicer outhouses I've seen although I didn't quite share their sense of adventure.

We rode on to Raquette Lake yesterday and I am sore everywhere.  My hands are so sore I can't shift up on my larger chainring.  We stopped to verify our directions at a women's softball game and they recommended a place to stay.  It is the only place in town, if you would call it that.  We are in a classic old hotel (1930's?), over a bar.  The building also houses the general store and that is what makes up this town.  We are right on a lake full of ducks, loons and turtles.  I was talking to some couples in the bar about our trip and when they asked where we are from, I gave my usual answer, about an hour outside of L.A.  "You aren't by chance from Thousand Oaks, are you?"  Well it turns out that her daughter works for Amgen and lives in T.O.  It's a small world.  One of the couples are Christian and will be praying for us.  Blessings.  

We're ready to hit the road once again.  I hope that these quick updates keep you filled in on our journey.  The sun is shining, by the way!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment