Sunday, September 13, 2009

I don't want to die.

Our first days in Wyoming were plagued with road construction and horrible riding conditions.  We met a cyclist who had come from the direction we were headed and one of the first things he said is that he was surprised he made it alive.  His advice was to hitch a ride.  We had my parents with their trailer so we loaded up the bikes the next morning and bypassed a huge section of construction and a busy road with no shoulder.  I thought that would be the end of it but it wasn't so.  

We had about 20 miles of easy riding.  I didn't have a map but chose the roads using Mapquest.  The problem with trying to do it that way is that gravel roads are not listed as being such.  We had another 10 miles on a gravel road that was quite beautiful but very difficult and slow.  We were so tired of the gravel that we headed for the freeway.  I thought that we had only a mile or so before we could ride on the old highway.  Well, it wasn't meant to be.  The road was completely closed off, gated and surrounded by a barbed wire fence.  They really didn't want anyone on that road and it too was gravel.  

We have almost completely avoided freeways.  I think that the only one was crossing the Mississippi into Iowa and that was for less than 3 miles.  The enjoyment of our ride was quickly diminishing so we loaded up the bikes and skipped the freeway.

Our next day was almost as hard.  We left town on the only road headed west.  We knew it would be a challenging road since the spacing between towns with services was about 90 miles.  That wouldn't be the hard part for us.  We rode along through the sage brush on a road that seemed to be not too busy.  Well, it became busier as the day went on and soon we were being pummeled by semi trucks.  

First Cedar or Zion yells out that one is coming.  Next Cedar lets me know if they are giving us any clearance.  Next I brace up for the blast of air that comes from behind.  After that I brace against the sucking pull that happens after they pass.  It isn't something that I ever get used to.  

We had a flat and were able to get it fixed on the 3 foot shoulder.  I just made Cedar or Zion move away from the road each time a vehicle went by.  

After our tire was fixed, we pressed on.  The boys were just great but I was praying like mad.  We were being passed by at least 5 semi trucks each minute plus cars and RV's.  The riding conditions were perfect... slight tailwind, sunny skies and it was about 75 degrees.  The traffic ruined it for me and after 40 miles, I had enough.  We skipped the next 50 since it was exactly the same.  

Alive and I probably have a little more hearing left by skipping this part.

3 comments:

  1. HI Angelika, I am so glad your parents were there to help you through a difficult spot. I am enjoying reading your blog and can't wait to hear all the stories. We miss you!
    Tricia

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey there - just to let you know I am praying for you guys - and specifically for safety on your ride. I feel prompted at various times of the day to pray and I am wondering at these times where you are and what is happening. Hedge of protection, Father God for our dear friends on their adventure!

    Love,

    Dianne

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Dianne and Tricia!

    We miss you too. I'm sure that you are prompted for a reason. I was laughing yesterday because I was praying so much. 65 mph traffic but still not as bad as eastern Wyoming. I have so many notes emailed to myself about stories but just can't keep up.

    ReplyDelete