Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Napoleon, Ohio to Waterloo, Indiana

We have had no problem remembering these two towns!  We are in Indiana and have been having a fabulous time.  We rolled slowly into town last night because of headwinds.  Aargh!  We asked a local police officer where we could camp and he directed us to the local park.  It was located next to the main railway line between Chicago and New York.  Everything was locked up so we walked over to the fire station.  There was a meeting going on so almost everyone was there.  They were so helpful, calling to have the park opened up for us, offering us showers and we were able to talk with them and eat chips and dip!  This is a volunteer run fire station and they have over 20 men who keep things running.  Amazing.  They are celebrating their 140th anniversary in October.  

Our night was one of the more interesting we've had.  The local police were watching over us at night which was great!  Cord mentioned that there was a police car parked nearby most of the night.  

We haven't begun to understand why the engineers must sound the horn at every crossing all night long.  There are 5 crossings in Waterloo and some trains would sound the horn just one long time.  I decided that we are experiencing a new level of tired.  I was able to sleep from 11 until 5 without waking up and that is with the ground shaking, horns blowing and just the loud sounds of freight trains rumbling by.  I did have earplugs in but that only changed the decibel level from 130 down to 100 at the most.  I do think that some engineers are just sounding the horn to torture everyone they pass.  Everyone here swears that they don't even hear the trains.

We have had a wonderful morning here in Waterloo.  Ken and Candy have a bed and breakfast and invited us for breakfast.  Ken interviewed us for the local paper and we ate a fantastic breakfast.  They have been called to minister through their bed and breakfast so the morning was a complete joy.  

3 comments:

  1. I live in Iowa now, but am originally from Waterloo, Indiana. I have a Google alert on my email for Waterloo. When I received an alert this morning I smiled as I read your entry about staying at the part, being at the fire house, going to the B & B for breakfast. When I lived in Waterloo the fire house was the old city hall, an ancient structure that survived a couple of tornados and finally got hit by "unmet codes" and was replaced by the current structure. The city park was mainly a shelter house with a couple of old swings. Now Francis Thompson park Fran was a good friend of our family and probably one of Wrigley gums best customers as he passed out lots of gum to the school kids at the crossing he guarded for years. He was also a survivor of the Bataan death march. Also, back in "my day" the B & B that I think you went to was a private residence. It is quite distinctive among the other plainer homes in Waterloo. The thing hasn't changed is the trains !!!! With the railroad dissecting the town, no one lives far from the tracks. And it is true that we just learned to live with the trains.
    I bet they did seem that they were coming right through you tent !!! My brother still lives in that area and owns a small factory in Waterloo....Star Technology. At one time he was on the Town Board, but I think his term has ended. I am glad to hear that Waterloo will be memorable for you !!!
    I am wondering if you are crossing the US East to West on US 6 ??? Probably you will soon pass through Iowa, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you guys got some sleep and good food! Even here in ATL the trains blow all night long and I too wonder why they have to blow the horn so long so late...I only notice them when I can't sleep. I think of you guys every day during this journey..may God continue to keep you safe and energized!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We too are praying for you guys and thinking about you often! So many adventures, so many stories to tell about your experiences! Hugs from California!

    ReplyDelete